As mentioned here, T and I are going on a vacation from April 15 – 20th in the Dominican Republic.
Its all inclusive, meals and drinks are paid for. We would pay for any excursions and activities outside what’s included by the resort. Since I’ve never been on this type of vacation, I’m not really sure how to budget for this.
I bought $200 USD from my aunt (she had it from a previous trip) for no exchange fee (my family is pretty awesome sometimes) and this will be my spending money while on the trip – although I hope to spend less!
Anyone who has been on this kind of trip before, please let me know if you think $200 will be enough for 5 days? Thanks!
Here is what I want to buy before the trip!
1) Swimsuit (1 or maybe 2) - I have one suit right now that I wear anytime I need a bathing suit. I mostly use it for aquafit so its very functional (read: not cute or pretty). I would love another very functional suit to alternate between the two and possibly a cute and fun suit to wear at the beach or any other non-exercise swimming related activity. Update – bought 2 swimsuits at Wal-mart $33 for one and $34 for the other. One is very functional (read: great for aquafit) but still cute and the 2nd is super cute and helps hide the gut. I figure I can wear it also to the spa and out to friends’ places that have a pool (we have a couple of lucky friends).
2) Shorts (1 or 2) – I currently only have 1 pair of shorts as I mainly wear capris in the summer (can wear them at work and on weekends) so I will definitely pick up another one but possibly 2 if I can find something different. Update – I bought 2 capris that roll up into shorts at Marks. These are perfect since I can wear them as capris to work and as shorts on the weekend! $37 each.
3) A cover-up – I don’t own anything like this right now. Basically something to put over my bathing suit that doesn’t look fugly. Update – bought one at Walmart for $27.
4) A sun dress – I’m going to try and raid my friend’s closet first as she almost exclusively wears dresses so I should be able to find at least one nice one that fits in her closet. If not, I may purchase one as I know there are dress codes at the sit down restaurants and I want to look nice.
5) Flip-flops – I have one pair right now and I want a pair that’s a bit more versatile (current pair is teal, doesn’t go with a tonne of other colours) and maybe a bit less slippery (they are the cheap kind from Old Navy). Update – purchased at Walmart for $4
I’m hoping to spend less than $200 on all of this and whether I buy one swim suit or 2 (same with the shorts). I have to do some shopping around and will report back! Update – I have spent $194.36 on clothes and I’m done in that department, yeah!
I will also pack some capris, the shorts I already own, a skort, flats for dinners, swim shoes, walking shoes (wear on plane), t-shirts/tanks, light cardigans for night time, and a pair of yoga pants in case its cold one day.
That seems like a lot for 5 days but I want to be prepared, it should all still fit in a carry on since its mostly light clothing.
As I’ve never been on a trip like this, I would appreciate some input … Am I missing anything? Am I overthinking this and taking too much?
I’m sooooooo excited!!!
Until next time,